Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mirror, Mirror

Today for the outing we went rock climbing. In my eating disorder I didn’t have the strength or desire to do this which was something I enjoyed before. As I was rock climbing sometimes it became too difficult to reach the top. My mind felt bad that I didn’t get to the top because of the desire to be perfect. However, once I got to the bottom and looked at how far I got it was farther than I thought while looking down disappointingly on the wall.

This can be compared to my process of recovery. It was hard to believe and see the changes I am making each day. Sometimes I look back at where I was when I came in to where I am now and can recognize some growth. I am scared to look in the mirror because I don’t know if I’ll recognize myself anymore. However, with time I’ll be able to do it. I just have to have faith in who I have become instead of fearing the mirror.

Tomorrow I am teaching a lesson in spirituality about identifying your true self through the eyes of your higher power. As I was working on it I wrote this

poem:

Mirror, Mirror on the wall . . .

Who am I?

Where am I going?

Am I lovable and of worth?

In front of the mirror my eyes are lost

Searching to find my true identity,

The beauty within,

Self-acceptance

My dark monster covered my eyes of

My personality, passions, principles, purpose

Constant destructive expressions:

Broken, unlovable, worthless

The demon begins to leave as I trust the light in my eyes

My eyes lead in a hopeful direction

A new perspective:

Stumbling blocks become stepping stones

Mirror, who am I?

I am kind and compassionate,

Courageous and determined,

Accepting and Loving

I am a designer of my passions that

Mold my purpose,

Define my character,

Bring treasures of happiness

I am a daughter of God who loves me.

I believe in His eternal love and grace

He lifts me, comforts me, protects me

He is my anchor

I am a wife, daughter, sister, and friend

An author of my destiny of joy, hope, and peace

Mirror, in you I choose to see my power and self-worth

A daughter of God

1 comment:

  1. Becky, I loved your poem. Good luck in teaching your class today.

    ReplyDelete