Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Faith and Fear

Dr. Julie gave me an assignment to study the words "faith" and "fear" in the scriptures. Sometimes I wonder what faith is because it is hard to define. Faith is something that continually changes and grows with time. Faith is an action word. Sometimes my faith is stronger than other times, but to me these are times it is strengthening. Like muscle building it seems they grow weaker before they grow stronger.
As I have read the Book of Mormon this time my mind has been drawn to the word "deliver." This is an empowering word to me right now. In the darkness of my eating disorder I have at times wanted and want the Savior to rescue me- deliver me. Even though I feel I want to give up I continue to push forward and reach higher. I know He can't take the trial or pain away, but He can lift me higher.
I search the index for the words "faith" and "fear." In the scriptures that really caught my eyes, I was strengthened by the word "deliver" followed after "faith." Without faith the power of deliverance is not possible.
In 1 Nephi 7:12 & 17, Nephi pleads for help to be dliever from the persectuion of his brethren. In verse 17, Nephi asks for "strength" to "burst these bands with which I am bound." He didn't ask the Savior to take it away, but rather give him the strength to overcome.
Also in Alma 38:4-5, Alma teaches Shiblon the power of fiath unto deliverance. He says, " . . .thou didst bear all these things with patience because the Lord was with thee; and now thou knowest the Lord did deliver thee. An now my son, Siblon, I would that ye should remember, that as much as he shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions and ye shall be lifted up at the last day."
My Heavenly Father sees me and knows who I am. He is there to strengthen and empower me to overcome all things. I am learning more about His grace and power through my trials. As I maintian faith in God I will be able to overcome the fera of the adversary (my eating disorder). The adversary does not want me to progress or find joy, but remain hidden in the darkness. Although I am scared to go froward, I know with faith my small steps will be illuminated and empowered to keep moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment