Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Family Letter

Here is a copy of a letter Becky wanted me to send to the family.

Thank you for all the sweet emails and letters today. They meant the world today. I thought I would share my journal today. I love and miss you lots.

Love, Becky

January 4, 2010

I have found that Mondays are very busy here. There isn’t a lot of free or study time. It was a day of classes and group discussions. Some were more influential than others.

This morning was spirituality group with the director Dr. Berrett. It was focused on finding our meaning and purpose in life. I was only there for part of the group because I was evaluated by Dr. Ellis, the psychiatrist. It was interesting to observe the other women in the group talk about and listen to Dr. Berrett. I strongly believe in relying on and having faith in God is part of recovery. I am learning that His redeeming power will help me heal and become whole. A part of me wanted express Heavenly Father’s love for them and His ability to heal.

This afternoon I went to a powerful group. Two girls who are discharging tomorrow led it. They talked about being and feeling forgiveness. As an object lesson they placed a tray of sand in the middle of the group. You were to go write a name, feeling, or action you wanted to feel forgiven from in the sand. Then someone else would “erase” it and write their own desire for forgiveness. It proceeded as a chain reaction.

Through this object lesson I thought about the story in the Bible about the woman who committed adultery. In John 8:1-11 it recounts the story. In verses 6-7 says: “This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with is finger wrote on the ground, as thou he heard them not…He that is without sin among you, let him cast a stone at her.”

These verses help me remember that everyone is striving to progress and change in their own way. I love verses 10-11 as they express Christ’s love for us now and forever, weaknesses and all. It reads: “…he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?; She said: No man, Lord, and Jesus said unto here, neither do I condemn thee: go and sin no more.”

Christ understands us all we have, are, and will go through. He loves us completely and has atoned for all our sins and weaknesses. When I feel alone or afraid, so has He and can provide me with comfort and love.

1 comment:

  1. I have always liked this story from the Bible. Becky's insight into this scripture is a powerful lesson to me. I can only imagine it's power for her at this time.

    -Thanks Becky for sharing!

    ReplyDelete