Thursday, March 21, 2013

Holding Heaven

 



As a new mom I often wonder if I am doing it "right."  There are many books and opinions of others to guide you.  These ideas are helpful, but I have found that lots of the learning comes by experience.  One idea that often worried me when Emily was first born was the idea of holding her too much.  However, with experience I know that for me and my Little Tink that is not possible.  Associated with experiences of my past, I firmly believe that Emily is intuitive to her needs.  Although I don't always understand her messages, Emily is aware of her needs - eating, sleeping, playing on her tummy or back, sitting up, and even snuggling. In fact, sometimes I wish I could be as intuitive to my feelings as she is.  As I observe Emily, my testimony of God's masterful creation of the mind and body expands.  It is nothing short of a miracle.

Each day Emily is learning, showing off new tricks.  Soon to be six months, Emily has growing each day.  We spend  a lot of time on the floor, but there are times too Emily just wants to be held.  I treasure these moments as my "Little Mover" (as Nelson calls her) will soon want to be everywhere instead of in my arms.  So for now, I will cuddle her whenever I can.

 
Another time I love to hold Emily is when I am rocking her to sleep.  I love reading her bedtime stories and singing lullabies.  Emily has a pattern to falling asleep.  As I hum or sing a lullaby, she will join in with her own hums.  Emily then becomes quiet, and tickles my neck finding the collar of my shirt to hold on to.  I love the way her little hand brushes against my neck.  She then drifts off to sleep.  As I hold her, I pray she will grow to be healthy and strong.  Yet, there is a part of me that also prays to hold onto my little one forever.  I know I can't for she has much to learn to reach her Godly potential.  So instead I strive to hold onto Emily's glimmers of growth and treasure these small moments when I get to hold heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment