Friday, April 16, 2010

A Poem By Becky

Dear Family,

I just finished reading an amazing book JoLynn gave me for Easter. It touched me in many ways. It is called, "Making Sense through Suffering." I wrote a poem for an assignment (and because I wanted to) to express some of the feelings and things I learned. I hope you enjoy it too.


As I begin my personal journal of mortality

I feel anxious and scared for the experience ahead

I inquire, “Father, can I overcome what is before me?”

He gently responds, “The riches of eternity are mine to give.”



Even though I leave my Heavenly Father’s physical presence

His spirit continues to embrace and console me

My Father’s power is a fortress to my soul

Ever embracing and strengthening



My journey is filled with mountains and valleys

Each tailored to my individual capacities and needs

At times I feel enslaved, entombed, and helpless

Yet my Father is ever near, empowering me to reach my potential



My feet stumble on occasion

My back weary from the load I bear

Dark shadows and storms surround me

I am confused at how to move forward



Through God’s enduring spirit of love and tenderness

I catch a glimpse of the light of Christ

Putting things in a clearer perspective

My Lord gives me insight into the purpose of my suffering



I am discovering chastening is not a prison, but a passage to His presence

Not a forbidding wall, but an inviting veil

Chastening is heaven bound and sometimes the only way home

Changing me into a grand and holy being



In my test of life

I know I cannot call it quits

I cannot peak ahead

I can only focus on being my best here and now





During my darkest and painful hour I ask the Lord,

“Have I grown enough? Am I finished?”

“Almost enough,” seemed to be the Lord’s answer

His silence continues to say, “The miracle is not quite complete.”



Looking back upon my path

I notice I am never alone

Angels surround me to bear me up and deliver me

Miracles and tender mercies help me survive and come alive



I begin to recognize the perfect gift and grand purpose of suffering:

Discover my growth’s capacity for joy

Gain an understanding of heaven

Increase my ability for friendship with love and empathy



I find the greatest treasure of my journey is

God’s unwavering attention and affection toward me

The glowing warmth of His love trickle into me

Blessing me with riches of eternity – joy and love



I live in the embrace of Christ

When I die, I die in His arms

For they are ever reaching and strengthening

Drawing me into His presence



In His arms at the end of my journey

I catch a glimpse of my reflection

In my perfectly imperfect life with trials and sufferings I am made whole

Becoming the queen God intended me to be as His daughter



Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment