Tonight as Nelson and I read The Holy Temple by President Boyd K. Packer I was touched by a story he shared. President Packer was teaching about being properly dressed when attending the temple. He admonishes members to be dressed their best when attending the house of the Lord. He shared the following story to teach this principle:
"Some time ago on a cold winter morning I was on my way to the airport at a very early hour. I stopped at an intersection near the Salt Lake Temple. Although the light changed to green, I waited while a very old man laboriously made his way across the slick street; because of his crippled condition, the time allowed by the signal was not sufficient to see him across the street safely. He was carrying a small suitcase. Obviously he was going to the temple. I was impressed that he was a regular attender at the temple. He came, no doubt, from a very modest room or apartment somewhere in central city. He was dressed in a dark suit with a white shirt, very carefully groomed.
As I pondered on his crippled condition I imagined how very difficult it must have been for him to get moving in the morning. I knew from experience how painful it is for some people with arthritis or other crippling limitations to clothe themselves. And yet, there he was, going at the invitation of the Lord to the temple. For him there would be no loose and informal dress. He took his invitation seriously. I will not forget what he taught me."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment