Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Past and Present

Christmas brings with it a time to reminisce of Christmas past. Although each Christmas is special in its own way, some seem to stand out more than others.

As a child, I remember most the magic of Christmas, especially Grandpa’s slight of hand. I can’t help but laugh at Grandpa’s magical story of capturing Grandpa’s boot. Joy fills my heart as I recall special gifts and memories. The year I received my special monkey, “Charlie,” just like Grandpa’s. Another timeless Christmas is Grandpa’s magical bus trip to Disneyland with everyone. My heart treasures my last Christmas with Grandpa. He was a man true to tradition, beginning or continuing. I remember helping Grandpa prepare the White Family first Sub for Santa. Through this I began to understand the magic of giving anonymously.

The best Christmas past I believe all mankind was a part of before coming to earth- the first Christmas. On this sacred day, the gift of love, hope and peace were given in God’s gift of His son, the Savior of all mankind.

Elder Holland explains this magnificent gift, “At this focal point of all human history, a point illuminated by a new star in the heavens revealed for just such a purpose, probably no other mortal watched—none but a poor young carpenter, a beautiful virgin mother, and silent stabled animals who had not the power to utter the sacredness they had seen.

Shepherds would soon arrive and later, wise men from the East. Later yet the memory of that night would bring Santa Claus and Frosty and Rudolph—and all would be welcome. But first and forever there was just a little family, without toys or trees or tinsel. With a baby—that’s how Christmas began.

It is for this baby that we shout in chorus: “Hark! The herald angels sing Glory to the newborn king! … Mild he lays his glory by, Born that man no more may die: Born to raise the sons of earth, Born to give them second birth.” (Hymns, no. 60.)

This Christmas is a special one for me. In a few short days, I will reach a year mark upon the beginning of my journey with the Center for Change. My heart reflects with overflowing gratitude for my many blessings. The best gift I have been given cannot be wrapped or bought at the store, but only felt in my heart – “a second birth.”

Like those at the Savior’s birth, you are an angel that has ignited my way with your surrounding love. I feel I have traveled from extreme darkness into heaven’s light. Your glowing light of love has carried me through the difficult challenges I have faced and continue to fight. Thank you for being an angel during this year to love, encourage, and pray for me.

Wrapped in swaddling clothes, the greatest gift was given of the Savior – life now and forever. I feel I have been given a second chance in life. The gift of forgiveness, love, and hope enwrap my spirit. These cherished gifts have helped me in my quest to find the treasure of my individual worth. In my quest, the magic of God’s love has helped me transform them into stepping-stones. Although the quest may be overwhelming, I know it is part of the journey. Triumphs come through trials, progress comes through learning, and discovery comes through hunting.

I have come to believe that an eating disorder is one of Satan’s acute tools to target powerful, strong women who can and will do marvelous and great works while here on earth. He strikes at our very souls- literally, our minds, spirits, and bodies. I’ve come to believe that I can and will cast him and this disease out of my life so that I can say, as Moses said to Satan – “Rent and rave all you’d like, frighten me with the horrific power of the depths of hell; but when you are done- please step out of my way. For I am a child of God and I have a work to do, and I will do it.”

I have come to see, believe, and know for myself that my challenges are the greatest blessings in my life. I would and will not trade them for anything. Through my challenges I am able to draw closer to my Heavenly Father. He is aware of my path and journey and the ways it will mold me to the person His sees in my eternal mirror. God’s hands, grace, and love are always there for me. His hands comfort, pray, hug, and lift me. Without him I am nothing and with Him I can become everything.

Thank you for giving me so much love, hope, and encouragement through your faith, prayers, encouragement and testimony. God has truly blessed me with so many angels of light.

With much Love,

Sending Pixie Dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment