Sunday, January 4, 2015

Heartbeat

Today Emily woke up at 4 am crying.  I had just finished feeding Lily and set her down.  Much to my dismay, the two girls battled crying for my attention for the next hour.  After I would get one settled down, the other would begin to cry again.  Finally at 5:30 am, I took Emily downstairs to watch part of Frozen while I got Lily settled back to sleep.  After watching the last 15 minutes of Frozen, I laid by Emily on the couch.  She rested her head against my chest near my heart.  As we snuggled, her breathing slowed as she fell asleep.  It was such a sweet treat to snuggle with her as we don't get to as often with her "growing up."

As I laid by her I thought about how maybe my heartbeat was soothing to her.  When I was little I found it calming to lay by my mom and listen to her heartbeat.  It was a feeling of reassurance and coming "home."  There have been moments as I grown to be an adult that I have rested my head against my mom's heart and found myself in the same place - comforted, reassured, at home.  As Emily grows, I too hope she feels safe in my arms and returns often.

No comments:

Post a Comment