Our new baby, Lily May Yates, was born today July 29, 2014 at 1:30 pm. I went to the doctor this morning to have my membranes stripped to find out that I was dialated to 5 ½ cm and should head to the hospital. I had been feeling labor pains on and off for a few days. However, last night they were quite intense. We have been anticipating Lily's arrival because Emily came early at 36 weeks. We were grateful for the extra time she had in womb so that she might gain the health and strength needed there.
After we left the doctor's office, I made some phone calls to arrange some tending for Emily so that my mom could come to the hospital with us. We are so grateful for a great ward family that extended support to us. Emily enjoyed the afternoon playing at her friend, Clara's house which we had arranged for earlier.
Nelson came home from work and we finished packing the bag and headed to the hospital. As we arrived there I was dilated to a 6+ around 10:30 am. I worked through the labor until I was an 8+ at about 12:30 pm. I had debated an epidural and was doing fine up to this point, but thought I would get one to finish the worst of it. Dr. Thompson arrived around 12:45, and I began pushing around 1:00 or 1:15 pm. Lily arrived around 1:28 pm. She was a little quiet at first, but shared her "soprano" voice (as my mom would say) soon.
As I held Lily in my arms for the first time, my heart grew. I have worried over the past few months how I can possible love another as much as Emily. I didn't think my love was enough. Yet as I held Lily I found my love grew and continues to grow. The experiences and service we share with those we love strengthens, identifies, and captures love. I know Lily is a quiet, sweet angel who will teach me much through her example and love.
While working through the contractions and waiting at the hospital, I felt many angels and loved ones were present in the room. I know they were there to strengthen and support our family. It was a special experience to feel those angels around me: grandparents and other loved ones. Having a baby is definitely a time when heaven and earth meet.

No comments:
Post a Comment