Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Power of Testimony




Happy Fall! I hope you all are enjoying the changes of fall, wherever you are. It is still summer-like for us in Arizona. Without looking at the calendar, my body wants me to believe it is July or August with 100 degree weather still. Nelson loves to make fun of the weather man here, saying, "He has the easiest job- Today it is going to be sunny and warm or sunny and hot!"



However, as many of you are seeing glimpses of changing from green to brown leaves, we are seeing glimpses of "GREEN" instead of brown. Our apartment complex has been watering the grass the week - more like flooding it. Anyway, in just the past few days the brown landscape has turned green. I guess the saying is true, "The grass is always greener on the other side." ;) I am missing my fall tradition of pulling out my grandpa's yard. It was always a special time to be with my gardening buddies: Melissa, mom, Grandma, and Grandpa.





This week we had a neat opportunity to see my cousin Jeremy set apart to leave on his mission to Pocatello, Idaho. He is going to be a great missionary! During the setting apart, President Thomas, the stake president, gave some touching counsel and remarks. Although he was speaking to Jeremy, I felt they were so applicable to me.

The basis of his thoughts came from D&C 109, the dedicatory prayer of the Kirkland Temple. This chapter outlines the magnificent covenants and promises of temple blessings. "I love to see (and be) in the temple." It is a Neverland of my soul where any feelings of being lost, lonely or afraid subside. They are replaced with the joy and confidence knowing I am a daughter of a king with potential to live with Him again some day.

D&C 109 explains that the temple is a "house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of glory and of God, even thy house." It is a house of learning eternal truths that Satan envys. These truths motivate his effort to destroy our potential. Each time I attend the temple, I am amazed at the things the spirit teaches through the same repeated prayers and ordinances. It is magical to discover the great meaning each word in the ordinances there have, from the words "through" to "eternal." I realize the inspired compostion of each word organized together perfectly.

"And do thou grant, Holy Father, that all those who shall worship in this house may be taught
words of wisdom out of the best abooks, and that they may seek learning even by study, and also by faith, as thou hast said; And that they may grow up in thee, and receive a fulness of the Holy Ghost, and be organized according to thy laws, and be prepared to obtain every needful thing." (D&C 109: 14-15).





One of my favorite ordinances to do in the temple is the initiatory. I love the covenants and blessings promised. It is a powerful shield to remember in my mind with my continued battle for complete recovery. The last promise of the initatory is particularly meaningful and uplifting with the blessing of protection from the power of the destroyer. Hearing this line always makes me smile to think that the result of any of my personal wars here on earth and in the war in Heaven has already been decided. Heavenly Father's plan is perfect with a "Happily Ever After" of our conquering with Him.





I am grateful for the purpose of adversity in directing me to my true potential. My personal experiences of life have shaped my testimony. President Thomas taught of the power of testimony in uplifting yourself and others from the destruction of Satan. I cannot help but think that is why I find joy and power in sharing my story of recovery with others. I hope more opportunities will come.





President Utchdorf defines a testimony as:





"A testimony provides proper perspective, motivation, and a solid foundation on which to build a life of purpose and personal growth. It is a constant source of confidence, a true and faithful companion during good times and bad. A testimony provides us with a reason for hope and gladness. It helps us cultivate a spirit of optimism and happiness and enables us to rejoice in the beauties of nature. A testimony motivates us to choose the right at all times and in all circumstances. It motivates us to draw nearer to God, allowing Him to draw nearer to us (see James 4:8).



Our personal testimony is a protective shield, and like an iron rod it is guiding us safely through darkness and confusion.



Nephi’s testimony gave him the courage to stand up and be counted as one who obeys the Lord. He did not murmur, doubt, or fear no matter what the circumstances. When times got tough he said, “I will go and do [what] the Lord [has] commanded, for I know that the Lord … shall prepare a way … [to] accomplish [it]” (1 Nephi 3:7).



Just as the Lord knew Nephi, God knows us and loves us. This is our time; these are our days. We are where the action is. Our firm personal testimony will motivate us to change ourselves and then bless the world. Of this I testify and leave you my blessing as an Apostle of the Lord, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment