Grandpa Yates embodied a life of love, joy in adventure, and devotion for home and family. He loved Nelson! Throughout Nelson's life, he has been Grandpa's special helper. There was and is a special connection between these two boys. In fact, as time moves forward, I am reminded of the way Nelson, his dad, and grandpa are so similar. Their smile and sense of humor is identical, in that they find ways to laugh through hardship.
At 95 years old, Grandpa Yates' memory was beginning to go. Whenever visiting with Grandpa, he seemed to share the same stories and teach the same principles. Each time I met with him, he would ask me who I was, seeing he forgot. As soon as I reminded him I was Nelson's wife, he would begin the recorded conversation. . .
Grandpa Yates: "Your the teacher Nelson married. I married a teacher too. Yep! See I wasn't very smart growing up, so I always wanted to marry a teacher to make me smarter. Are you teaching him anything?"
Me: "I am trying to, but Nelson is already pretty good. He is teaching me."
Grandpa Yates: "Your the teacher Nelson married. I married. . . . .
This was the sweet converstaion I always had with Grandpa Yates. Actually, I looked forward to this exchange with him as it reminded me of the core of my identity. My greatest blessings are my husband, family, and love of learning. I will miss this exchange with Grandpa Yates, but will always keep it in my heart when I think of him.
No comments:
Post a Comment