Sunday, January 9, 2011

Faith to Move Mountains


In my scripture study this morning, I came across one of my favority stories of the New Testament- Jesus Walking on the Water (John 6).

John 6 begins with recounting the miracle of Christ feeing the 5,000. I was awakened by verse 12, "the disciples gave to them as much as they would (until) they were filled." Christ is truly the "bread of life." Through Him I am fed and filled spiritually and temporally.

After feeding the 5,000, Christ went up to the mountain alone. The disciples went by ship across the sea. "And the sea arose by reason of agreat wind that blew." (vs. 18)
To me this represents trials in my mind. In order to find eternal life and reach my potential, trials act as a wind to direct me. However, I am never left alone to do it myself for Christ is always near.

During the storm, the disciples notice someone walking on the water. At first "they were afraid," until Christ told them, "It is I, be not afraid." (vs. 19-20)

"Then they willingly received him into the ship: and immediately the ship was at the land whither they wnet." (vs. 21)

From these verses, I was reminded and tuaght that when I am willing to let go of doubt and fears, I am able to draw nearer to Christ with trust. with faith, trust and a little pixie dust of love, miracles occur.

I followed a cross-reference to D&C 67:3 that further explains this principle:
"Ye endeavored to believe that ye should recive the blessing which wa soffered unto you; but behold, verily I say unto you there were fears in your hearts, and verily this is the reason that ye did not receive."
Without fiath and trust, fear takes over the ability to empower miracles.

Bishop Edgley admonished in last October 2010 General Conference address:

Because of the conflicts and challenges we face in today’s world, I wish to suggest a single choice—a choice of peace and protection and a choice that is appropriate for all. That choice is faith. Be aware that faith is not a free gift given without thought, desire, or effort. It does not come as the dew falls from heaven. The Savior said, “Come unto me” (Matthew 11:28) and “Knock, and it shall be [given] you” (Matthew 7:7). These are action verbs—come, knock. They are choices. So I say, choose faith. Choose faith over doubt, choose faith over fear, choose faith over the unknown and the unseen, and choose faith over pessimism.

When the disciples asked Jesus why they could not cast a devil out as they had just witnessed the Savior do, Jesus answered, “If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove” (Matthew 17:20). I have never witnessed the removal of an actual mountain. But because of faith, I have seen a mountain of doubt and despair removed and replaced with hope and optimism. Because of faith, I have personally witnessed a mountain of sin replaced with repentance and forgiveness. And because of faith, I have personally witnessed a mountain of pain replaced with peace, hope, and gratitude. Yes, I have seen mountains removed.

I know that with actionso faith of myself and surrounding angels, I have seen mountains of despair and doubt move and replaced with peace, hope and gratitude. I am grateful for God's grace through actions of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment