Recently I have been reading the “war chapters” in The Book of Mormon. In reading through these chapters many times before, they taught me about the battle between good and evil and the consequences of wickedness. Before now, the “war chapters” were just stories of fighting that led to the appearance and teachings of the Savior to the new world.
While reading through the chapters this time, I was comforted by the principles Moroni and the Stripling Warriors taught in their fight for freedom. It has been a great source of strength in my battle for freedom from Ed.
In Alma 43, the Nephites are led by Moroni to defend their righteous liberties against the Lamanites. Alma 43:48 reads,
“And it came to pass that when the men of Moroni saw the fierceness and the anger of the Lamanites, they were about to shrink and flee from them. And Moroni, perceiving their intent, sent forth and inspired their hearts with these thoughts – yea, the thoughts of their lands, their liberty, yea their freedom from bondage.”
Through these verses my heart thought about the “fierceness and “anger” I often feel from my negative mind and Ed. Yet like the Nephites reminded me, as I think and act with God’s power I am stronger. In moments of great struggle, I think about my dreams and goals of the future. This is especially true of my passion for motherhood. This desire empowers my fight.
In Alma 43:49-50, it describes the increase of their courage as they think about their freedom from bondage:
“And it came to pass that they turned upon the Lamanites, and the cried with one voice unto the Lord their God, for their liberty and their freedom from bondage.
And they began to stand against the Lamanites with power; and that selfsame hour that they cried unto the Lord for their freedom, the Lamanites began to feel before them. “
Just as the Lamanites fled after the Nephites prayed for strength, so will Ed and my negative mind. God is ever near to strengthen and help me as I rely on Him through prayer and faith.
In Alma 46:12-15, Moroni raises the “Title of Liberty”:
“(12) And it came to pass that he rent his coat; and he took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it – In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children – and he fastened it upon the end of a pole.
(13) And he fastened on his headplate, and his breastplate, and his shields, and girded on his armor about his loins; and he took the pole, which had on the end thereof his rent coat (and he called it the title of liberty) and he bowed himself to the earth, and he prayed mightily unto his God for the blessings of liberty to rest upon his brethren, so long as there should a band of Christians remain to possess the land –
(15) And those who did belong to the church were faithful; yea, all those who did belong to the church were faithful; yea, all those who were true believers in Christ took upon them, gladly, the name of Christ, or Christians as they were called, because of their belief in Christ who should come.”
Moroni’s raising the “Title of Liberty” has made me ponder to write my own “Title of Liberty” against Ed.
BECKY’S TITLE OF LIBERTY
Before raising my “Title of Liberty,” I prepare for my personal fight with the adversary by dressing in the armor of God. My loins are girded in the power of God’s truth of love and faith. I wear the breastplate of righteousness in my will to be obedient to the things I have been taught from heavenly and earthly angels. The helmet of salvation strengthens my wisdom to decipher between the deceits of Ed and the truth of God. My feet are dressed in the gospel of peace, seeking to still the raging storm in my mind. I carry the shield of faith with determination to create strength in my weakness. With continuous prayer in my heart, I hold up the sword of the Spirit to direct me towards the Light of Christ.
With the protection and power of God’s armor, I raise my “Title of Liberty”:
“In memory of my God and His healing power,
A power of changing weakness into strength,
My family and my children - angels of light and truth
My faith to proceed forward with faith
My yearning to become a mother to care for my heavenly angels above
My choice for happiness - a blessing to found along the way
My passion to fulfill life’s fantasies
My gratitude of twinkling tender mercies
My glimmer of growth and change
My embracement of eternal gifts of love
My testimony of God’s power of deliverance for all who are “broken”
My peace and comfort to overcome my mind’s restless storm
My growing love for life
My emerging acceptance of my reflection as a loving daughter of God.”
No comments:
Post a Comment