Sunday, August 5, 2012

All-Star Nelson


For the past few months, Nelson has been completing his summer internship with a company called, "Urban Outreach: United Methodist Church."  It has been a great experience for him.  At first, he was not sure if it was a good fit.  However, now as it comes to an end this next Friday, he is sad to leave. 

The internship is part of Nelson's coursework to completing his MSW.  As such, he receives an evaluation grade at the end of the internship from his "boss."  Nelson's boss praised him with the following comments below.  I am so proud of him and his hard work.  Although they reflect of these qualities Nelson has over the past three months, they are things that I have loved and admired in him since we met.  He is amazing!!

Nelson Yates is one of the finest social work students that I have ever had the honor of mentoring.  He is a young man of high integrity and ethical standards and an excellent fit for the social work profession.

During his time with us Nelson learned our homeless program and actually ran the program for a week at the end of his internship.  His excellent customer service skills, winning attitude, and calm demeanor were all assets in his successful operation with our shower and drop in program.  He formed good relationships with staff, clients, and volunteers, and everyone saw that he could be counted on to get the job done.

Nelson also completely redesigned and wrote our website, a mammoth undertaking in which he exhibited strong organization skills, creativity, and collaboration. (http://urbanoutreachaz.org/)

His strength above all is his ability to relate to many different kinds of people and problems, in what I have observed to be the most non-judgmental way of any student I have seen.  Nelson is open to people in a way that is compassionate and honest, as if it is his second nature.  He is a natural helper. 

If I had a job opening, I would hire Nelson Yates.  He needs to grow his clinical skills, an opportunity we were not able to provide in a summer internship.  I believe that once he has that opportunity, in addition to the skill and knowledge he has acquired to date, he will be an asset to any organization he chooses to join.   Thank you for the opportunity to have him be with us for the past three months.

No comments:

Post a Comment