Today I had an opportunity to teach Relief Society. I choose to teach on the principle of charity. Like all talks and lessons, the one who presents it seems to learn the most. I am so grateful for the opportunity to study and learn about this eternal principle.
The Bible Dictionary defines charity as the "The highest, noblest, strongest kind of love, not merely affection; the pure love of Christ. It is never used to denote alms or deeds or benevolence although it may be a prompting motive." (p. 632)
Charity is more than giving, even more than giving with feeling. It is loving in the way that Christ loves and being willing to give even your life in the service of others if necessary. Christ healed, preached, administered to the sick, and gave his life not out of duty or a need to use his power, but out of love. He said, “A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another” (John 13:34).
Paul further explains the principle of charity in 1 Corinthians 13:
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
Doth not behave itself unseemingly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
Charity never faileth."
In reading Paul's teaching of charity, I learned that true gifts are given with heart. Charity is the love the expands in the acts of love, gifts given, and service shared with others. It is the indescribable pixie dust feelings of joy that comes with recognizing what it means to love and be loved.
I love President Monson's definition of charity in the October Relief Society's conference:
"I consider charity—or “the pure love of Christ”—to be the opposite of criticism and judging. In speaking of charity, I do not at this moment have in mind the relief of the suffering through the giving of our substance. That, of course, is necessary and proper.
Tonight, however, I have in mind the charity that manifests itself when we are tolerant of others and lenient toward their actions, the kind of charity that forgives, the kind of charity that is patient.
I have in mind the charity that impels us to be sympathetic, compassionate, and merciful, not only in times of sickness and affliction and distress but also in times of weakness or error on the part of others.
There is a serious need for the charity that gives attention to those who are unnoticed, hope to those who are discouraged, aid to those who are afflicted. True charity is love in action. The need for charity is everywhere.
Needed is the charity, which refuses to find satisfaction in hearing or in repeating the reports of misfortunes that come to others, unless by so doing, the unfortunate one may be benefited. The American educator and politician Horace Mann once said, “To pity distress is but human; to relieve it is godlike.”
Charity is having patience with someone who has let us down. It is resisting the impulse to become offended easily. It is accepting weaknesses and shortcomings. It is accepting people as they truly are. It is looking beyond physical appearances to attributes that will not dim through time. It is resisting the impulse to categorize others."
Charity is a character trait that is developed over time. It comes through the memories we share with others, overcoming hardship, and the dusting of light we gain through relationships shared. Along my road of recovery, my bucket of pixie dust has been filled with the magic that comes from developing relationships with others. The light of others intensifies my light and love for life.
President Monson explained further, "Mother Teresa, a Catholic nun who worked among the poor in India most of her life, spoke this profound truth: “If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” The Savior has admonished, “This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.” I ask: can we love one another, as the Savior has commanded, if we judge each other? And I answer—with Mother Teresa: no, we cannot."
A new understanding came to me as I read Luke 8:12-32, in which the Lord testifies that He is the “light of life.” Christ explains to the Pharisees that if they knew Him, they would know Heavenly Father.
I believe all God’s children have this same “light of life.” Through it brightness, truth and divine perspective is found. With the “light of life,” understanding, compassion, and love break down any bearers. We are able to recognize without judgment others & love them for who they are: sons and daughters of God. Through these experiences, charity is developed one heart at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment