I have been working on a poem for my Grandma's birthday, and finally finished - I think! I thought I would share.
My Sweet Grandmother
By: Rebecca Yates
6/6/2010
Grandma, you are a master storyteller
Narrating “Remember whens”
Of events important, silly, & mundane
Capturing a family heritage & legacy
Smiles tickle my face of our memories together
Little moments which shape my character
Blessing me with God’s eternal love
Grandma these are some of my “remember whens”
“Remember when” teaching me to dust at Grandpa Owen’s
A dreaded job of a dust collector
Made fun with tickling hands and dusters
Rewards of treats and tasty popcorn when the job was done
“Remember when” our adventures traveling together
Fairy Tales created in Disneyland, Sea World, Caribbean
Yet the best adventures came in the simple moments
Traveling back to the past with reminiscing memories
“Remember when” you sang each July 7
A birthday song that rang with love
Never forgetting the importance of the one
A silent & outspoken cheerleader to all
“Remember when” you were my nurse on sick days from school
Your love is a magical medicine
Healing broken hearts and spirits with gentle embraces
Mending all things with God’s eternal love
“Remember when” you taught me the tricks to gardening
Planting deep roots of life’s important lessons:
To cultivate and nourish my faith in God above
Understanding growth comes through winds and storms of life
“Remember when” your tradition of poems
Sending treasured messages of love, laugther and life
To be kept in minds and hearts throughout time
Filling hearts with your love
“Remember when” you show and teach of gospel principles
A quiet, yet significant example
True to heavens teachings
Blessing others with divine charity
“Remember when” you share so much of what you have
Blessings others with gifts of love, seen and unseen
An angel of God sent to many
Guiding others with a spirit to heaven above
“Remember when” sitting with me
Swinging on “our ride”
Holding my hand gently
Keeping me safe in the arms of your love
“Remember when” you hug and kiss me
Capturing a glimpse of God’s eternal love
One without limits or conditions
An endless security of peace and joy
Grandma these are just a few “remember whens”
I treasure and recall when feeling lost, lonely or afraid
Uplifting my spirit with love and laughter
Remembering my earthly angel who I love and cherish
Grandma, I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment